Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Looking in : Ours



Yes, I've been away. Yes, alot of stuff has happened with Tay Tay in the last few months. No, I'm not going to talk about that in this post. This is a review of Ours. I told myself once the song was out and my internet connection was excellent, I'd post a review, so, here I am.
Hi.





The Song
:
Am I disappointed Enchanted still hasn't been released as a single and probably won't now that a sixth single's been released? Yes. Am I disappointed in the alternative choice? No.
I fell in love with this song the first time I heard it, was outraged when I found out it wouldn't be played on the tour (but it has been and will be on the Aussie and NZ legs now!!!) and... that line - well, I'll get to that. Infodump: As you know, Ours was originally a bonus track on the Red (awesomer) version of Speak Now. According to Tay Tay, it was the song's popularity that got it released:
"That's what I love about my fans; they always let the best song win," she said in her 13-part behind-the-scenes web series.
Well, I don't know about that. Lot's of songs off of Speak Now - actually, all of them - are pretty popular among fans, probably because it's such an amazing album. I think Better Than Revenge, Enchanted and Haunted are most likely the most popular. Ours was pretty popular, too, particularly that line: People throw rocks at things that shine.
I mean, seriously, that says it all, doesn't it? All the previous singles from this album were lavishly produced in Taylor's familiar charmingly OTT style. This song goes back to what made her popular in the first place; simple, folky arrangements, laced with sweetness and the tiniest twinge of attitude. It's about a girl who is getting judged for her choice of partner by friends and family and doesn't care, because their love doesn't belong to anyone else but her and the boy in question -hence, this love is Ours.



The Music Video
:
In this video, Taylor is not an internationally acclaimed superstar who likes glitter and sparkly dresses, she's an average working stiff with straight, unkempt hair, muted toned clothes and a sense of sadness and boredom. It's directed by Declan Whitebloom, (the dude who did Mean) and again, they are working from a treatment written by Tay Tay, although, of course, it's very different. The story of the clip is a little different from the story of the song, which is about dating a rebel no one approves of, as opposed to a normal, stand-up, honourable guy that no one in the office - except the janitor - knows about. I liked that they actually had her in a lift for the line Elevator buttons and morning air because I believe nothing else would work as well. Most fans seem generally pleased with this video, myself among them - and you can also count me among the majority who said "aww" when the twist was revealed (although I kind of figured it out at the second chorus but it was still so sweet). I should also note that the lighting of this video was fairly excellent and more effective than White Horse, which also attempted a similar kind of lighting.

You can find the video here and all 13 behind-the-scenes webisodes of the making of the video, including a cute little The Office parody, here.

Not to be confused with Mine or Our Song.

p.s Zach Gilford is hot and I don't like cats but Meredith is adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment