Friday, December 23, 2011

Looking In: Safe And Sound (Part 1)



Ok, I'm still freaking out a little bit here, so, forgive me if that comes across.


The Song


I have heard of The Hunger Games, which is a book, but I haven't read it. It's being made into a movie and this song will be on the Soundtrack. Some anti-Swifties might be thinking, "Shameless cross-promotion!" and maybe they're right but as a fan, I can't tell you how thrilled I am to be getting this brand new song I've never heard before when I thought we had to wait a whole year for the next album before we had that chance. That alone is exciting but the actual song is freakin' awesome.
Granted, I've only heard it eleven times so far but it is so beautiful.
I hope the next album sounds like this because as awesome as Speak Now is - and it's really awesome - I really love this side of Taylor as a musician and composer. Songs like Jump Then Fall and Come in with the Rain are what made me fall in love with her music in the first place and songs like Tied Together With a Smile, The Outside, A Place in this World and Fifteen made me think, Holy crap, this girl is deep (songs like Never Grow Up and Dear John reaffirmed this). People talk alot about what genre Taylor Swift fits into - "She's Country!" "No, She's pop! "She's Country-pop!" "She's invented her own genre - Kiddy-Pop-Country!" She's sung everything from pure country to epic melodic rock, she's even rapped - it's clear shes not a one-trick pony that fits into anyone's box, but to me, at her core, Taylor always has been and always will be a Folk-Singer with a soft-spot for country. The two genres have so many similarities, it's hard to pick, and we know how much Tay Tay loves her banjos and fiddles, but trust me, she's a contemporary folk song-writer. She can write any genre brilliantly but these kind of songs are her forte' - which is why this one is magical in its sincere simplicity. The general reception seems to be positive if Twitter is anything to go by.
Again, it's early days. The song is so fresh in my mind and I'm just starting to learn it but at this point, I think my favourite lyrics are, Hold onto this lullaby/Even when the music's gone. I hope Tay Tay wrote that part.
As for the melody, to qoute a bogan Aussie expression, I'm loving it sick. "Oh-oh-oh-ooh-oh" - dude, killed me.
As I said, I've never read this book, so that might make it tricky to analyse the song, but if we forget it's written about a movie for a second, it seems to be from the point of view of a mother/sister figure trying to calm someone younger in a war-like situation. They've been through a traumatic ordeal in which Taylor's character protected this personand promised to stay with him/her. She tells this person that whatever has happened is over now. She urges him/her to sleep, assuring this vulnerable child that even though
The war outside our door keeps raging on, as long as she's with him/her - and she intends to stay with him/her - You and I'll be safe and sound. I plan to give further analysis once I've read the book/watched the film.

The Collaberators
You didn't think I'd forget The Civil Wars, did you? Of course not. That would be rude. I didn't think I knew who these guys were, but I now recall seeing one of their videos on cmc, Poison and Wine - a beautiful song.
According to their website, Tay Tay totally endorsed them on Twtiter and her iTunes playlist and whatnot. So that explains that. This low-key, folk/country duo seem like the perfect fit for that part of Tay Tay.
They are Joy Williams and John Paul White. Whenever I hear a collaberation between Tay Tay and another artist, I always want to know which parts she wrote, but anyone who had a hand in writing this song is a musical genius because every word, every note, is perfect and simple and beautiful. If this song was a person, I would totally ask it out on a date.

People who have iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/safe-sound-from-the-hunger/id490735511?ign-mpt=uo%3D4
People who don't: Youtube has removed most of the copies but there are already some spectacular covers up. Do what I'm gonna do; I'm just get the soundtrack in stores.


No comments:

Post a Comment