Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Looking in : Sparks Fly


The Song:
Most Swifties know the story of Sparks Fly but for those who don't, let me fill you in. Sparks Fly was a song Taylor performed way back in 2007. The performance was put up on Youtube and the fans went crazy. They've been asking for a studio version for years and last year, Her Swiftness granted their request.
The original version sounded like something off the first album. This arrangement is alot closer to Tay Tay's style now. The lyrics were also tweaked over the years. These two versions serve as side-by-side portaits of T. Swizzle now and then.
This has been said alot but she really has matured as a songwriter. According to T. Sweezy, ''Sparks Fly is about falling for someone that you maybe shouldn’t fall for, but you can‘t stop yourself because there’s such a connection, there’s such chemistry.
You're the kind of Reckless that should send me runnin' but I kind of know that I won't get far.
This song grew on me. At first I just saw it as a throw-away pop song but the more I listened to it, the more I realised how well-crafted it was, how the lyrics, melody and arrangement come together so well in typical Swift fashion to tell a story. Some people think this is about a one-night-stand (lead me up the staircase/won't you whisper soft and slow) but I disagree. This is typical of the sort of imagery T. Swift uses to illustrate a romantic idea.

The Video
When it was announced that this video was gonna be concert footage, many fans, myself included, thought it was going to be another Fearless, which just looks like a very well-made fan-vid; but you can tell that a certain degree of effort has gone into making this video. They haven't just taped footage together and added effects. This was all set-up during the different concerts to be filmed in a particular way. I will also admit that I was among those who thought Long Live would be the tour video.
Unlike many of those fans, though, I am not dissapointed. I get why they are; they've loved Sparks Fly for so long they wanted a "proper" video, but I actually see this as a love-letter to the fans. T-Dog has often described her albums as her diaries. Every album is supposed to befull of songs written after the last album; but she made an exception for Sparks Fly because she knew how much many of the fans wanted it. These concert videos are the only ones with fans in them, so, it's like she's letting the fans be apart of the song in a very special way.











You can find the video here.

No comments:

Post a Comment