Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Taylor Swift not Nominated for a VMA


I was all set to blog about Taylor's critics and was just deciding who to start with. There are four main "targets" I wanted to address, but I was checking out the Taylor Swift forums in the "Defend Taylor" section to see if there was anyone else that I should consider when I ran across the news that Taylor wasn't nominated for a single VMA (Video Music Award) this year. Now, don't get me wrong; I am not one of those fans that thinks Tay Tay burps sunshine, farts rainbows and everything she does is the best thing ever. In fact, I didn't think You Belong With Me deserved to win Best Female Video back in 2009.
It's a cool video and obviously connected with many fans, which is why they voted for it, but in my opinion, Fifteen was by far a superior video to both You Belong with Me and Single Ladies (girls in leotards dancing recycled choreography filmed in black and white? Oh, my God, genius[!])
I certainly wasn't barracking for Mine, which is just a bunch of pictures hanging from string tied to a bunch of trees and T. Swizzle getting married to and having kids with a guy who can't row (Whoop-dido). Back to December deserved to at least be nominated, purely for the concept of the snow falling down in her house. December literally comes back to haunt her as she comes to terms with her decision. It's a great idea(plus bonus points for her being nakey in the tub) but I knew it went under the radar and probably wouldn't be recognised and I was fine with that.
It's the snubbing of Mean that annoyed me. The video speaks for itself. I don't need to defend it with words. I know the VMAs are just a popularity contest; I'm just a bit annoyed is all.
I hope the video at least gets nominated for one of those Country Music Awards.
As for "The Story of Us", I loved the concept (rocking out in a private school library) but I didn't expect it to be nominated either. Congratulations to everyone who was nominated; I do think Katy Perry deserves the accolades. She's had a great year with her videos.
No hard feelings to Beyonce; Single Ladies was a phenomenally successful video that a lot of people responded to, and really quite clever in its simplicity - but "one of the best videos of all time"? I'm not sure if I would put it in the same league as Thriller, Jailhouse Rock, Bohemian Rhapsody, Money for Nothing, Feel Like a Woman, Take on Me, pretty much any Britney video that isn't set on or near a beach... I could go on. I do like Mine - Swifty is yet to release a video I don't like - I just don't think it's among her most creative or powerful videos.
I also think Taylor's most devoted fans are sweet and only mildly terrifying; it's just that they love her so much that they're biased. Nobody deserves to be sexually objectified and as a heterosexual female, I really have no excuse for the tub comment, except that I was kidding - mostly. The fact that she was willing to appear that vulnerable is one of the many things that make T. Sweezy the shiz.

No comments:

Post a Comment